Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What-If: Thunderbolts - Week 3


The following post is fictional. None of the new characters or events described actually happened.

---



Penance was released today! Along with... wait for it... the Crossbones mission! Yippee!

First of all, I apologize for not being correct in my predictions for this month. My new guess is that Scourge and Ghost will be released next week. Yay! Hope I have enough gold to buy both of them...

Anyway, on to Penance!

---

PENANCE




EXPLORATION

Penance actually has a double jump, which surprised me, but was welcome nonetheless. :D
As you would expect, running around the zones with him is pretty fun, especially because of his cool factor and the fact that he's a new hero.

I give his EXPLORATION a 3.5/5!

FIGHTING

Today I fought as Penance for the Crossbones mission. He's slightly overpowered, especially for a week three hero, but it sure was fun running around, slinging spikes at skull-faced henchmen!
His Hero Up, where he unleashes all his spikes at once on enemies is really awesome, and is pretty well ranged.

I give his FIGHTING a 4.9/5!

COOL FACTOR

While I could've used a little more detail, the SHSO version is faithful to the comics, and that's good enough for me. I also received many new friend requests while playing as him. I managed to get him to level five, and his second power emote shows his cat, Niels, which is a nice nod to the comics.

I give his COOL FACTOR a 4.1/5! :D

---



THE CROSSBONES MISSION

OVERVIEW: The Crossbones mission takes place in an airplane hangar, which I'm not sure what is referencing but is cool anyway. The henchmen are all either male or female Skull-faced baddies. I would've liked more variety, but at least they didn't put the Nameless Ones in THIS mission like they do in so many others. Yeesh. What really shines in this mission, I think, is the boss battle.




Crossbones can call in his henchmen to help you, like many bosses, (i.e. Kingpin, Annihilus), which makes the boss fight trickier. But Crossbones actually has two stages to his fight. In the first stage, he is a sniper, shooting from far away, and you have to dodge him. In the second round, he comes down to fight you in person, which is about as fun as you'd expect.

All-in-all, I give this mission a 7.2/10!
And kudos for placing the mission in a new setting, rather then recycling an old one.

So that's it for this week! Tune in next week to see my reviews of Scourge and maybe Ghost! :D

-- SHSOFan.